Covid-19 has upended most everyone’s lives. Our daily activities are restricted, schools are closed, businesses have been shuttered, and social distancing has become the latest buzz word that will be synonymous with this pandemic. 

Sadly, this is also a time when more and more Americans find themselves out of work while our economy is bracing for a recession and potentially a depression. Unemployment is at a historic level. If you have found yourself to be furloughed, or layed off, you may be able to file for unemployment benefits that can protect you throughout this unprecedented time. 


How To Apply 

Given that the novel coronavirus spreads via airborne droplets such as coughs, sneezes, or even through merely breathing, unemployment claims can be filed online

In order to continue to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 all in-person services are currently unavailable at all Career Centers and unemployment walk-in centers across Massachusetts. However, those individuals requiring additional services may head here. This contact form should be used primarily by those with disabilities, special needs, and language barriers.

What You Need To Apply 

Before you log on to apply for unemployment, there are a few items that you will want to gather. Be sure to have handy the following information: Social Security number, birth date, home address, email address (optional), and phone number.

You will also need information about your employment history from the last 15 months, including: the names of all employers, plus addresses, and phone numbers, reasons for leaving those jobs, work start and end dates, and recall date (if you were laid off but have a set date to return to work). 

If you have children, you will need their birthdates and Social Security numbers for the online forms. 

marines in a line

Special Circumstances 

If you are not a U.S. citizen or you work for the military, federal government, or are in a union, you may have special circumstances and information that you will need to provide. 

For example, if you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need your Alien Registration number. Military members will need the DD-214 Member 4 form. Union members will need the union name and local number. People who have previously worked for the federal government will need the SF8 form. 

Once you have applied for unemployment you will need to request weekly benefits every week that you are unemployed. You will make your first weekly benefit request the week after you file your claim for unemployment benefits.